Tuesday, 5 March 2013

My Job Has Its Moments
























Charlie, one of our more entertaining regulars, was sent to earth to torment librarians.

He's been trying to convince us to hand over the Sony MP3 player ever since the above poster appeared in the library.

We know, and he knows, it's not his MP3 player.

Despite this minor setback, he conducts his campaign with increasing creativity.


 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


I am standing by a trolley sorting books.

Charlie approaches.

"Oh God. I mean, hello Charlie."

Charlie gazes solemnly into my eyes and holds up a piece of paper:

 












I dissolve into giggles.

He looks aghast. 

"Ahem, no reason. And how may I help you today?"

"Really. Is that so?"

He nods eagerly.

"Well, if you could perhaps tell me what songs are on it so we can make sure it's definitely yours...?"

He glares at me scornfully. 

"So why the fuck have you got an MP3 player?"

He sighs; a big, theatrical, eye-rolling sigh.


I see he is holding one more piece of paper but by now I am laughing too much to carry on.

"This one's in case you said "You're not really deaf"," he explains.














It is almost as if we have had this conversation before.

"Charlie," I say, "I am impressed by your desperation."


 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In the end, we told him what songs were on it so he could come up with a more plausible story.

Ironically, he didn't believe us.


8 comments:

Doris said...

Ha-ha! For real? Brilliant :-)

Pauyla Tuck said...

Very cool blog.
Driveways Essex

ALittleBitOfMe said...

It always amazes me that everywhere I work, it is someone elses normal place to be, even places I had never thought of being. I'm glad you have fun people to come around and make things interesting.

Jo said...

I love your blog! It's a shame you don't write more often. I spent all of yesterday evening and most of the night reading all of your posts

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It's mine, the songs are all van morison, john-lee hooker, and the eels. Don't try and deny it. Danny. Xxx

One Fine Weasel said...

Hi all! Sorry for long absence. Feel the Weasel reawakening so hopefully there might be more blogging action from this neck of the woods from now on.

Doris - yes for real. I always thought Charlie looked like a budget Novak Djokovic but I watched Ghostbusters last night (first time since 1984 - it's still brilliant) and realised he's the spit of a young Bill Murray. Got that same glint.

Pauyla - thanks, but are you spam? I daren't click on your link.

C - best thing about my job is the chumps I get to hang out with xxx

Jo - nice one! Thanks for saying so.

Comment deleted - don't be shy now.

Danny - rumbled. You'd better come and pick it up then :) xxx

Anonymous said...

I keep coming back to this, it's hilarious :)